The PMPRB has published the long awaited 2019 Annual Report. The following are some of the high-level takeaways:
- Sales of patented medicines in Canada reached $17.2 billion in 2019, a moderate increase of 3.5% from the previous year.
- Patented medicines accounted for approximately 60% of the sales of all medicines in Canada.
- Prices of existing patented medicines were stable, while the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose by 1.9%.
- Canadian prices were the fourth highest among the seven PMPRB comparator countries; lower than prices in Switzerland, Germany, and the United States.
- Canadian list prices were the fourth highest among 31 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries; lower than prices in Switzerland, Germany and the United States.
PDCI will be conducting an in-depth analysis into the report in the coming days. For inquiries on how PDCI can help with navigating your pricing needs, please contact Kimberly Robinson, Director, Pricing and Market Access